Monday, June 19, 2017

Route 66, Day 4

Tuesday (Elk City, OK to Tucumcari, NM) (October 4th, 2016)


***(click on photos to enlarge them for details!)***

We had thunderstorms overnight (Elk City, OK) but was clear and sunny by morning.  I heard the forecast for severe storms in that area for the afternoon but apparently I got way ahead of them.  Was a perfect weather day all day for me!
Got up early and drove into town to visit the Route 66 Museum and history farm.  Very cool!  Then picked up Lola from the motel and headed west.  Stopped at lots of fun, interesting little towns and took pics of lots of Route 66 stuff. Some things I found I hadn't even read about (and I have read a ton of Route 66 books!) so that was cool too!  I discovered that I get more excited about the old places that are in ruins than I do of the things that have been refurbished and are back (or still) in business.   I went thru 3 camera batteries today!
I am in Tucumcari tonight at the Historic Route 66 Motel.  They were one of the only "original" motels in town that allow cats.   Am charging up my camera batteries so I can go take pics later of the motels around town with their neon signs lit up.
Driving was a little rough with the strong winds thru Texas. Still really windy here tonight. Am tired tonight and my eyes feel strained.  Lola did good and is exploring the motel room.
Tomorrow will head to Grant, NM, and then on to Winslow AZ on Thursday to visit with Liz.  Then Prescott, and then arrive in Chandler on Saturday.   I am halfway today!

Here I am on the Old Route 66 alongside the I-40 interstate.

This is the Route 66 Museum in Elk City, OK

Ginormous Route 66 sign!

Water bags were hung in front of the cars radiator to keep the car cool while driving thru the desert. Was a necessity back then!

These are sets in the museum depicting scenes along Route 66 back in the day.




An old schoolroom


Can you imagine getting a perm like this back then??  Yikes!!


Western Motel in Sayer, OK  Still open.


These next pics are all taken in the ghost town of Texola.  The street was very wide going thru town so it looked strange with all the old ruins on both sides.  Apparently it was a pretty busy little down way back when!






Interesting door on this building.  Like the detail on it.






 Old alignment of Route 66 thru Texola.

Route 66 was also known as the Will Rogers Highway

More pics of Texola ghost town







 Now in Texas... This motel is open for business in Shamrock, Tx.

Not sure what the name of this place was but appears the cabins are now apartments.

Nice mural on this Trading Post/gift shop

Famous U-Drop Inn in Shamrock, TX.  Now a museum and gift shop.
 

I read in one book that they didn't think there were any Berma Shave signs left along the road but I found this one!
 Must have once been a café


Fixed up old Phillips 66 station in McLean, TX

Nice mural!

Some misc motel in Texas



 Still takin' the scenic route!

A 66 Super Service station in Alanreed, TX




Old souvenir shop

Famous leaning water tower in Britten, TX.  It was build that way on purpose.

This is a spoof on the Cadillac Ranch done with Volkswagon bugs!

This car was added for good measure





The Big Texan Steak House in Amarillo

Interesting looking motel next door

They even have a horse motel!

If you can eat a 72 oz steak with all the fixin's in an hour, you get it for free!  I didn't attempt it.

The entrance to the famous Cadillac Ranch. I forgot to bring my spray paint!





No spot gets missed by the spray paint!


The pain on these cars is over an inch thick!

Tumbleweed!!


Old Phillips 66 Station

Vega Motel in Vega, TX


I saw a lot of old trucks that had eyes painted on them like the movie "Cars" which I haven't seen yet

Another mural

Roadrunner Drive-in.



Cool old wagon!

cool old truck!

Preserved gas station in Vega, TX



Another mural and museum




 Fun sign!

Old gas station near Adrian, TX

 Midpoint Café in Adrian, TX.

Halfway point between Chicago and LA







old gas station 




An old roadside cafe

This place was know as the "First motel in Texas" or the "Last motel in Texas" depending on which direction you were traveling.

 Glenrio, TX


The motel behind the cafe

 Abandoned gas station in Glenrio, TX






Café in Glenrio




 Western Motel, Glenrio, TX

No comments:

Post a Comment